Compared to non cross-linked polyethylene, GBT PEX is more resistant to cutting and scratching which may be incurred during the assembly process, service or home repair environment. It also resists degradation in moving/torsion environments, such as the door hinge.
Taste and Odor
GBT PEX has been specifically formulated to provide superior taste and odor performance as compared to competing materials. This superior performance has been proven by tests conducted by two appliance manufactures, a major beverage manufacturer, and a plumbing component manufacture.
GBT PEX resists attacks by chlorine, cleaning products (particularly chlorine and ammonia based) and foaming insulation chemicals. Chlorine can attack non cross-linked materials, causing scoring, leading to cracking and embrittlement associated with field failures.
Improved Mechanical Properties
Higher continuous pressure and burst capability permits the elimination of isolation valves and reduces service costs.
Kink Resistance and Recovery
GBT PEX resists kinking better than non cross-linked products. Kink recovery is also noticeably improved. Long term negative effect of the kinking is negliable in PEX while other materials can be kink stressed, possibly leading to eventual failure.
Creep, particularly at heat age temperatures and pressures, can contribute to leak failures under pressure. GBT PEX's superior creep performance meets this requirement.
GBT PEX is capable of withstanding the expansion of a freeze condition and will return to its original appearance upon warming.
GBT PEX resists degradation and softening due to heat.
Long Service Life
Formulated for the demands of the plumbing industry, GBT PEX has a long service life.
GBT PEX Plumbing Tubing Listings and Approvals
- NSF Standard 61: Drinking Water System Components - Health Effects
- Plastic Pipe Institute (PPI) Hydrostatic Stress Board, TR-4/2000 Listing, Standard Grade @ 73° F. (23° C.) HDB 1250 psi, 180° F. (83° C.) HDB 800 psi and 200° F. (93° C.) HDB 630 psi.
- CSA Standard B137.5 - Cross-linked polyethylene (PEX) tubing for pressure applications
- NSF Cl-TD Chlorine Resistance Performance for Potable Water Applications
- ASTM F876-04: Standard Specification for Cross-linked Polyethylene (PEX) Tubing
- ASTM F877-05: Standard Specification for Cross-linked Polyethylene (PEX) Tubing - Hot and Cold Water Distribution Systems.
- ASTM F2080- Standard Specification for Metal Insert Fitting Utilizing a Metal Compression Sleeve for SDR 9 Cross-linked Polyethylene (PEX) Tubing
- ASTM F1960 Standard Specification for cold expansion fitting with PEX reinforcing rings for use with PEX.